Mexico rebound...
I am back!
The trip was an absolute blast (I mean, how could it NOT be?), and despite various lessons learned, I am already looking forward to Mexico Mama's v.2009.
In order of appearance:
1. It's best to not fill out a customs form after multiple in-flight mimosas. Or you end up with this:
2. When being removed from said group of 19 fellow moms, it's best to find a way to signal what's happening. so they don't automatically assume you're being searched, probed, and otherwise violated in a back room. (What's the appropriate signal for "I'm an idiot and can't read"?).
3. Be prepared for the group cheer that will erupt (in a very non-subtle way) when you reappear with a new (correct!) customs form in hand.
4. iPhones do not like water. Especially toilet water. Particularly toilets in Mexico.
5. I currently do not have a cell phone. Email is best until I a) find a way to dry out my kamikaze iPhone, or b) find an extra $300 to afford a new one.
6. Dirty Monkeys are our friends. Double Dirty Monkeys are *really* good friends.

7. Z-packs are only $25.0o (USD) at any local Pharmacia y Bistro. I'm just sayin'...

7.5. "Dirty Hot Guy" walks through the market every day at 1:30. Wearing just his speedo. 'Nuff said...

8. Chartered flights can (and will) be late on the return trip.

9. Five extra hours in any airport is more than tolerable with you are without children and in possession of a great book. And drinks. And 19 of your new best girl friends.
10. Your husband will think you are a goddess when you make it through customs with three Cohiba cigars from the duty free shop. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
And so...I am back! Sunburned, itchy, and without a cell phone, but relaxed and happy all the same.
The trip was an absolute blast (I mean, how could it NOT be?), and despite various lessons learned, I am already looking forward to Mexico Mama's v.2009.
In order of appearance:
1. It's best to not fill out a customs form after multiple in-flight mimosas. Or you end up with this:
2. When being removed from said group of 19 fellow moms, it's best to find a way to signal what's happening. so they don't automatically assume you're being searched, probed, and otherwise violated in a back room. (What's the appropriate signal for "I'm an idiot and can't read"?).3. Be prepared for the group cheer that will erupt (in a very non-subtle way) when you reappear with a new (correct!) customs form in hand.
4. iPhones do not like water. Especially toilet water. Particularly toilets in Mexico.
5. I currently do not have a cell phone. Email is best until I a) find a way to dry out my kamikaze iPhone, or b) find an extra $300 to afford a new one.
6. Dirty Monkeys are our friends. Double Dirty Monkeys are *really* good friends.

7. Z-packs are only $25.0o (USD) at any local Pharmacia y Bistro. I'm just sayin'...

7.5. "Dirty Hot Guy" walks through the market every day at 1:30. Wearing just his speedo. 'Nuff said...

8. Chartered flights can (and will) be late on the return trip.

9. Five extra hours in any airport is more than tolerable with you are without children and in possession of a great book. And drinks. And 19 of your new best girl friends.
10. Your husband will think you are a goddess when you make it through customs with three Cohiba cigars from the duty free shop. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
And so...I am back! Sunburned, itchy, and without a cell phone, but relaxed and happy all the same.
Labels: Other Stuff




8 Comments:
Sounds like you had a B L A S T. Funny coincidence - my husband just sunk his cell phone in the toilet today too! Hmmmmm...
I couldn't wait to get back to work (Immigration law firm) to tell everyone the customs story! And, btw, everyone thought it was pretty hilarious! Even more so, I cannot wait until next year's trip!
Jen,
As one of the 20 Mamas, let me just say that you captured the best parts, though a bit sad Wayne has not made the blog yet.....hoping there will be some pics soon! Ladies, this trip was a BLAST and I recommend that all you out there go and book yourselves a getaway where there are Dirty Monkeys and Dirty Hot Guys! You will be soo glad you did! Jen, the pics are great and cannot wait to see more!
Tracey R.
Double Dirty Monkey Drinker
long time lurker peeking out to comment! ;) Jen, first of all, I LOVE your work, the photos you take are gorgeous, and secondly- Nineteen Minutes ( and really, any Jodi P book) are AMAZING airport books. I tend to only read them on long haul flights cause I can never put them down! glad you had a good trip
Jamie
So I could do without the totally goofy picture of me holding a bottle of meds that, for the record, I didn't even BUY... but other than that minor quibble, this post is perfect.
WHAT a TIME. I had so much fun that today I'm suffering from PMD: Post Mexico Depression.
What's keeping me going, aside from the memory of our unforgettable airport reunion with overjoyed kiddos and indescribably relieved husbands, is the two-word phrase: NEXT YEAR.
Can't wait. Meet you in the marketplace at 1:30!
oh my gosh, sounds like you guys had a blast!
How fun!
Sounds like a great trip!!
On the phone - mine hit the toilet recently too - and the store said to take out the battery, lay all pieces/parts in the sun and let it get warm and dry for several days. Each time you try to turn it on while there is still water inside is another change to fry the thing. After 4 days, my phone worked again!!
Hope it works for you too!
Sounds like you had a great trip!!
For your phone try this - take everything apart, place in sun for several days, once all moisture is gone put battery back in and try again.
My son "washed" my phone for me recently and AT&T had me do this. After 4 days it worked. Don't try it too soon as the battery being powered on while there is still water in it fry the phone.
Good luck!
Post a Comment
<< Home